Over the past 15 years, HVW8 has fostered a creative vision that brings unique collaborations between art, music and design. One of the early pioneers of the live art movement of the late 90’s, the HVW8 Art Installation (Tyler Gibney, Gene Pendon, Dan Buller) painted live pieces of iconic figures from the worlds of art, music and politics to accompanying live musical performances. This body of work led to exhibitions at galleries worldwide such as the Parco Gallery in Tokyo, the Museum of Canadian Contemporary Art (MOCCA) in Toronto, and the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico.
HVW8 Art + Design Gallery was founded in 2006 with a focus on supporting fine art & avant-garde graphic design. It soon became one of the premier underground galleries in Los Angeles and over the past 6 years has exhibited emerging and established artists from around the world. HVW8 has also hosted numerous musical performances and special events, continuing to cement its reputation under gallery curator Tyler Gibney as an exhibition space for artists to showcase their varied creative expression. Past exhibitors include Parra, Geoff McFetridge, Kevin Lyons, Hassan Rahim, Lance Mountain, Lisa Leone, Craig Costello (aka Krink) and more.
HVW8 Art + Design Gallery / hvw8.com
661 N. Spaulding Ave. / Los Angeles, CA 90036
Open Tuesday through Sunday from 1- 6pm or by appointment: 323.655.4898
Please call or email info(at)hvw8.com for any art / artist inquiries on past/current exhibitions.
Heavyweight Gallery Seeks Intern, Preferably For Class Credit
The Heavyweight Gallery seeks an intern to handle administrative and minor design work. The Heavyweight Gallery is an extension from Heavyweight Production House, established in 1998 in Montreal, Canada. The Heavyweight Gallery presents regularly changing exhibitions featuring avant-garde graphic artists.
- Assist in preparing and working at in-house events —including gallery openings, launch parties, and other special events.
- Help with the preparing of art and installation for exhibitions
- Helping to maintain inventory of art work, retail materials
- Manage retail sales – Research sponsorships: beverages, music, and magazines
- Draft press and marketing materials including press releases and ad design
- Dissemination of press and marketing materials including packages, electronic art, and invitations.
• Skills & Requirements:
- Computer skills
- Basic Design skills. Knowledge of Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator; Microsoft Word and Excel
- Basic knowledge of web design is ideal, but not required.
- Effective, engaging communicator
- Excellent writing skills
- Multi-tasker, self-disciplined and resourceful – Strong interest in art, design and galleries
• Learning Opportunity:
- Insider view to the daily functions of a growing gallery in a bustling art and shopping district.
- Work closely with established artists and graphic designers
-Interact with clients, sponsors and media
• Preferred Availability: – Wednesday-Sunday, approximately 15 hours per week – This is an un-paid internship, but will include a daily lunch stipend. Class-credit is available.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Tyler Gibney, firstname.lastname@example.org or 661 N. Spaulding, Los Angeles, CA 90036. No phone calls please.